A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

General chat that fellow COM'ers may be interested in.
Boondocker850
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:46 pm

A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by Boondocker850 » Wed May 12, 2021 6:01 am

I believe a lot of us are always looking for time to find on the track. What would be the interest/possibility of a new section where we post one lap videos with a little telemetry for constructive criticism on what we may be doing wrong or a new line choice to think about? Each track configuration can have its own sub forum. Maybe make a requirement to post class and time as well?

Thoughts and Interest?
Andrew LaValley #1144 2007 Honda S2000

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:45 am

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by gcranston » Wed May 12, 2021 1:13 pm

Yes, quite interested. There was a discussion going on late 2019 with Dan Durusky and others to find a place to host data that would dovetail nicely with this. Unfortunately it stalled out a bit as COVID took hold early last year.

Happy to help however I can.
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86... it's complicated.

User avatar
Mick
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:55 pm

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by Mick » Wed May 12, 2021 2:25 pm

Good idea. To start it would be simple enough to post your videos to YouTube and start a discussion thread for each track. If it gains traction then we could find ways to organize it better.

Also, in case people aren't aware, there is a section on the website with track guides for some tracks.
https://www.comscc.org/events/track-information/

Boondocker850
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:46 pm

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by Boondocker850 » Wed May 12, 2021 6:00 pm

They are great guides and a great starting point but with a video it may show where you can get on the gas sooner and the brakes later. I know I personally like to follow someone when learning a track to figure out when I need to use the brakes, where a lift is enough and when to start accelerating.
Andrew LaValley #1144 2007 Honda S2000

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1514
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Salem, NH
Contact:

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by TroyV » Thu May 13, 2021 1:53 pm

Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:45 am

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by gcranston » Thu May 13, 2021 4:12 pm

No, nothing like that! \sarcasm

Youtube is obviously a great place to host the videos. Is there somewhere we can store data and link the data files to the videos?

Edit: This could be a space on Drive to upload them, and forum threads for some discussion. There's also Track Attack which can take data in several different formats.
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86... it's complicated.

Boondocker850
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:46 pm

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by Boondocker850 » Thu May 13, 2021 11:06 pm

gcranston wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:12 pm
No, nothing like that! \sarcasm

Youtube is obviously a great place to host the videos. Is there somewhere we can store data and link the data files to the videos?

Edit: This could be a space on Drive to upload them, and forum threads for some discussion. There's also Track Attack which can take data in several different formats.

Agreed! I don’t think he gets it. (I’m sometimes sarcastic)
Andrew LaValley #1144 2007 Honda S2000

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1514
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Salem, NH
Contact:

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by TroyV » Mon May 17, 2021 8:08 am

Are you asking if COM can host and manage the video? I'd rather not do that. We already have a dozen or so different paths of communication that require bandwidth/maintenance. It would better to to create a sticky here and post links to YT or Vimeo vids.
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1514
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Salem, NH
Contact:

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by TroyV » Mon May 17, 2021 8:14 am

As I reread your post... Obviously YT is the place.

The club has a share drive. The same one we use to store the classing sheets. I can create a folder, but we need a NEW body to own the effort. When I say own the effort, I mean all the maintenance, managing the content, and linking in with our other communications platforms to drive the content and inform folks what is there etc.

Any takers?
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

Boondocker850
Fast Lapper
Fast Lapper
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:46 pm

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by Boondocker850 » Tue May 18, 2021 8:13 pm

TroyV wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 8:14 am
As I reread your post... Obviously YT is the place.

The club has a share drive. The same one we use to store the classing sheets. I can create a folder, but we need a NEW body to own the effort. When I say own the effort, I mean all the maintenance, managing the content, and linking in with our other communications platforms to drive the content and inform folks what is there etc.

Any takers?
I may not be able to respond quickly but it was my idea I can take a stab at it!
Andrew LaValley #1144 2007 Honda S2000

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:45 am

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by gcranston » Wed May 19, 2021 9:43 am

I can most likely help out with this.
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86... it's complicated.

TroyV
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1514
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Salem, NH
Contact:

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by TroyV » Thu May 27, 2021 10:14 am

A folder was created on our share drive. Graham, Dan and Andrew were invited to generate a proof of concept.

Have at it guys....everyone else.....stay tuned...
Troy Velazquez
#5 T50

TXBDan
Rookie Racer
Rookie Racer
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:47 pm
Location: Wakefield, MA

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by TXBDan » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:55 pm

We're slow, but determined, yaa'lll.
Dan Durusky
Cayman S

gcranston
Speed Setter
Speed Setter
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:45 am

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by gcranston » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:55 pm

Trying to clear deadlines ahead of track days. Sorry...

"It's the next thing on my list"
Graham Cranston
#76 T50 | 2013/15 FT86... it's complicated.

toejam_nh
Rookie Driver
Rookie Driver
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:37 am

Re: A new section for 1 lap video pointers?

Post by toejam_nh » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:21 pm

Boondocker850 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:01 am
I believe a lot of us are always looking for time to find on the track. What would be the interest/possibility of a new section where we post one lap videos with a little telemetry for constructive criticism on what we may be doing wrong or a new line choice to think about? Each track configuration can have its own sub forum. Maybe make a requirement to post class and time as well?

Thoughts and Interest?
I'm interested. Have a couple of laps recorded at Palmer, I'm a newbie so any insight would be helpful and appreciated!
Vince Collins 003 T40
2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec
It's slow but it's paid for 😆

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests