Bridgehampton Race Circuit
"All who have raced there know that the earth is flat and ends in the sand at turn two. The emotional rewards of driving this turn 'flat out' are just as intense as the physical consequences of blowing it." - Bruce MacInnes, Chief Instructor, Skip Barber Racing School
A magnificent, high speed driver's circuit through the sand dunes, Bridgehampton was one of the great road courses of the world. Through the 60's and early 70's the track hosted a number of major races, including Can-Am, USRRC, Trans-Am, and other major series.
Racing greats such as Dan Gurney, Walt Hansgen, John Surtees, Jack Brabham, Mario Andretti, Jim Hall, Bruce McLaren, Denny Hulme, Jo Siffert, Pedro Rodriguez, and Peter Revson made their mark - and most of them loved the track and its challenges. Dan Gurney gave Carroll Shelby's Cobra its first international win at Bridgehampton in 1964. Over 30 years later he recalled that as one of his most satisfying achievements.
Unfortunately, spectator access was limited by sparse Long Island roadways and the Long Island Sound, and the circuit always faced an uphill battle for commercial viability. As upscale residences were built nearby, the track faced increasing opposition from locals. As the track surface deteriorated over time, the facility declined to the point of hosting only minor club events in its final years.
Public roads in the Bridgehampton area were used for races in the periods 1915-1921 and 1915-1953. After the tragic accident at Watkins Glen in 1952 Watkins Glen Grand Prix, racing on state maintained roadways in New York came to an end. The Town of Bridgehampton began searching for a new site, and located a parcel near Sag Harbor.
The first race on Bridgehampton Race Circuit occurred in 1957, the same year as the first race at Lime Rock and one year after the third Watkins Glen circuit came into use. The facility was always somewhat primitive, and development was limited by the hostility of locals who bought nearby housing on the assurance that the race track "would be going out of business soon anyway".
In 1981, the track was near bankruptcy. A group named the "Friends of Bridgehampton" was formed, and they brought in a new owner and high hopes. The owner opted to not spend on development as much as was hoped, in part due to continuing hostility from the surrounding community.
After endless battles between supporters and foes, the track closed permanently in1997. A golf course has been built on the site.
Taking the Ferry:
The Cross Sound Ferry goes from New London, CT, to Orient Point on Long Island, NY. Make reservations well in advance: (203/443-5281 or 203/443-5035). Once off the ferry, take Route 25 South to Route 27 East. See directions from Route 27 below.
From Route 27:
- Take Route 27 through Southampton and Water Mill.
- There will be a Hess station on your left, take your first left turn onto Scuttlehole Road.
- Go about 2.4 miles to a fork in the road and bear left onto Millstone Road.
- The track entrance is about 2 miles down Millstone Road on your right. There is a small sign that says "Bridgehampton Race Circuit" on the other side of the steep uphill entrance to the track.
- There is a racing supplies store on the premises. It stocks some basic safety equipment, fluids, tape, plus the usual assortment of T-shirts, hats, and souvenirs. Surprisingly reasonable prices for an on-track supply store.
- The snack shack serves a limited selection of food items, but there are no tables in the shack, and no sheltered eating area, which means it can get pretty crowded in there during rainy events.
- The entire facility is sand - the only thing paved is the track. Be prepared for this sand to get into everything.
Food and Lodging
Hotels & Motels
One word: EXPENSIVE. Pay the extra few bucks and camp at the track.
There are plenty of places to eat on Route 27, but again, a bit pricey.
Bridgehampton Race Circuit
Hot Shoe Racing
P.O. Box 1321
Water Mill, NY 11976
COMSCC Photo Archive
The COMSCC Photo Archive is now online. Have a look at some old time COM photos from the first iteration of our website (1997-2005)